Here’s another article where 4 FFGeek Contributors show their Fantasy Premier League GW14 teams. There’s Andrew Pratt, Andrew Whitfield, Costas Chari and Sergio Torija
Fantasy Premier League GW14 teams – 4 FFGeek Contributors teams part 2
I outline my FPL strategy along with 10 other FFGeek contributors in our new EBook.
A reminder of the additional Patreon content
$2 plus Vat per calendar month
* Weekly podcasts with myself and the FFGeek Contributors
* All the articles on www.fantasyfootballgeek.co.uk advert free
$3 plus Vat per Calender month (plus the above)
* access to the FFGeek Contributor tracker team incl live transfers (52k OR in 19/20)
*access to Joseph Crilleys transfer planner and points projection tool
* access to the the Patreon Planner team runs from Joe’s planner projection tool incl live transfers (32k OR 19/20)
* Imaginary wildcard articles
*Bandwagon and Sinking Ships articles
*Slack Channel access
*access to private FPL leagues
No Commitment beyond 1 Calender month
This is part 2 of the FPL managers who contribute to the FFGeek site with good histories who show their teams each week. This will give people a feel for what other managers are doing. It’s a fairly informal thing with no obligation on anyone and these teams may change at anytime before the deadline without further notice. It won’t cover transfers in real time either. It’s just to give an idea of the trends for the week no more. The teams are shown as their “final-ish” teams so they could change. Where they have twitter accounts I have shown this and they may update them there or on our Slack Channel which is part of our subscription Patreon site but this is not guaranteed
Andrew finished with an overall rank of 313k last 8k in 18/19 and 1k in 17/18
GW13 points: 59 (FPL average 42) Total points: 815, Overall Rank: 82k, green arrow: 62k Team Value: £102.6m
Andrew has used his wildcard
This week saw a healthy green arrow despite my City double defence start but frustratingly only return 1 point between them. I fear this means Pep is now more likely to rotate them. Captain de Bruyne and Grealish were unfortunate to not have decent hauls but I did benefit from the likes of Dallas, Martinez, Son, Salah and Bamford. As a non-owner, I benefitted from Fernandes and Kane blanking. As a Manchester United fan I never thought I’d enjoy watching Leeds this much. My coin-toss choice of Dallas over Ayling on my gameweek 5 wildcard has proven very fortunate. I’ll consider a third Leeds asset if I can somehow shoe horn them in.
Using my first wildcard, good fortune with injuries and me taking a few hits along the way has meant that my team is looking in good condition for this point in the season. The areas I see in need of attention are Steer (a wasted Villa position), Jorginho (non-playing) and Welbeck (a short term pick). I’m currently sticking with the policy of going without Fernandes; to bring him in would require major surgery and likely weaken other areas. You can’t have them all!
Importantly, we now have a clearer picture of the blank and double gameweek schedules for gameweeks 18 and 19. The committed FPL manager will concentrate in the coming weeks on devising an optimal strategy for their team to navigate these weeks.
I do think the schedule we’re now seeing is likely to be updated again in the coming weeks. I brought Grealish in last week in anticipation of his upcoming doubles but they are yet to be scheduled. It may be that the City v Villa and Burnley v Manchester United fixtures are re-scheduled soon and possibly into the gameweek 18 and 19 arrangement. This could change your double gameweek strategy depending on your current team. The possibility that the fixtures may be updated was pushing me towards holding over my 1 free transfer this week. I think this will be a popular option this week.
I’ve not given it sufficient attention yet but my current view on the double gameweek strategy for my team is to humour the gameweek 18 blank (i.e. just field say 8 players) and not necessarily use a chip in gameweek 19 either. I think that gameweek 18 is likely to be low scoring generally so, unless you can barely field a team at all, playing the free hit in gameweek 18 might only make relatively small gains over a team like mine which currently has about 8 starters. I could wildcard in gameweek 17 and bench boost in gameweek 19 but the team I’d want from gameweek 20 onwards would not be markedly different from the one I could use free transfers over the next few gameweeks to get to. So, the possible use of the second wildcard in gameweek 17 would be primarily to take advantage of the bench boost in gameweek 19, which could easily see much rotation and leave me with a gameweek 19-centric team needing to be re-jigged for gameweek 20 and on. Being without a wildcard from gameweek 20 would feel a bit unnerving, although this season is very different in that we’re unlikely to see the traditional big double gameweeks later on. The use of the wildcard and bench boost chips in close succession can be very powerful but right now I’m inclined to hold them for later in the season, especially if the City v Villa and Burnley v Manchester United fixtures are not re-scheduled for gameweeks 18 and 19. Deferring the use of the chips would mean I’d sacrifice some rank in the near term as others using theirs would probably pull past me.
Having said all of that…… I do have one burning issue in my team, and that is Jorginho’s ongoing lack of minutes and free-falling value. I’ve swapped out Jorginho for Soucek, who is good value, has good
short term fixtures and has a double in gameweek 19. Although this is a bit of a luxury transfer, it leaves just enough in the bank to later swap Welbeck to Rodrigo (assuming he keeps starting) before his double in gameweek 19 and gives me with the option of upgrading Steer to a reasonable second playing keeper, if required. It may be that one of my City defenders moves out in due course for a gameweek 19 doubler with reasonable fixtures thereafter – like Coufal or Reece James.
transfer summary: Jorginho out Soucek in
This week’s team with transfer of Jorginho to Soucek complete:
Andrew finished with an overall rank of 132k last season and 6k in 18/19 and 19k in 17/18
GW13 points: 54 (FPL average 42) Total points: 773, Overall Rank: 440k, green arrow: 122k Team Value: £103.0m
Andrew has used his wildcard
Follow Andrew on twitter
Gameweek 13 review:
– Well this was supposed to be the week when Bruno Fernandes took bottom club Sheffield United apart, and Kevin De Bruyne smashed West Brom, while Liverpool and Spurs played out a Mourinho inspired “park the bus” 0-0 special. It didn’t work out that way, which feels like a missed opportunity as someone who was on Bruno and KDB but no Spurs.
– All the talk last week was about how the “big six premiums” were all “smashing it” and how could we fit them all in our teams !! This week, none of them hit double figures, with Son leading the way with 9 points and Salah on 7 points. So the game that promised least produced the most, while surprisingly Bruno, KDB and Vardy all underwhelmed from seemingly more enticing fixtures. Kane had a rare blank too.
– None of the players scoring double figures were more than 10% owned this week, so if you were on 7% owned Rashford, you were on to a winner in what turned out to be a much lower scoring week for most FPL managers.
My GW13 score:
– 54 points this week turned out to be a good score. A curious mix of seven players all chipping in without anyone scoring more than 8 points. Salah and Bamford scored, Calvert-Lewin, Chilwell and Coufal all had an assist, and keeper Martinez had a clean sheet. Whilst captain De Bruyne technically “blanked”, his bonus points and doubling of points meant he was my joint top scorer !!
– The only official “blankers” were Soucek, Dias who managed an own goal, and the two players who promised most on the fixtures, Fernandes and Jack Grealish, who on another day could have had a big haul if his team mates had finished off his chance creation . Yes, you Mr El Ghazi !!
– It’s pleasing that the decision to hold Martinez through his blank week paid off with 11 and 9 in the last two weeks. My three way rotation for 3rd defender is proving helpful too in throwing out good clean sheet opportunities each week, with Coufal having the best clean sheet odds this week and duly landing 8 points, while my benched defenders blanked. KDB just about justified the armband call over Bruno. So apart from choosing Soucek over an Adams assist, my decision making and strategy worked out well this week.
My current overall rank:
– It’s now SEVEN successive green arrows, which is very pleasing, from being 1.7M at GW6. I had a 122k green arrow this week, up from 562k to 440k, so it’s pleasing to have that momentum of the seven green arrows. I am only 50 points away from 50k, which is only 2 points per week. It’s all about chipping away and we have seen how one great week can also halve people’s ranks. And there are big points opportunities from the various FPL “chips” still to come. So all good and going in the right direction.
The “blanks and doubles”
– It’s all about planning ahead now for the “big blank “ GW18 and the “big double” GW19, which is going to be a significant points scoring opportunity. These two weeks will also drive transfers over the next five weeks. It’s very important to get your head round this now if you haven’t already as you need to make sure that any transfers you make from now are going to help and not hinder you over the coming weeks.
– I suggest that you read my previous article on the site on the “blanks and doubles “ situation, as well as Geeks helpful article too. Both provide useful guidance that will dictate where you go from here if you want to not get caught out in GW18 and GW19, and if you want to maximise your chances of gaining a significant advantage on your mini league rivals in these two crucial future gameweeks.
– My personal strategy for the big blank and big double ahead is dictated by how my team sits, which may be completely different to yours. I only have five players currently with a fixture in GW18 so I am planning to “free hit” that week. I currently have nine players who play twice in GW19, so my plan is to keep my “doublers” high with a view to having at least eleven “doublers “ by GW19, including a full bench all playing twice that week when I will aim to play “bench boost”. Effectively I can then get 26 games out of my players in GW19 on a bench boost chip !!
So what next:
– I have one free transfer and zero in the bank. My plan is to probably roll the transfer this week, for two next week, provided all my players stay fit and healthy.
My current team:
– I have a stronger bench now after enhancing it over the last few weeks. All my three bench players can step in. I actually have what I would call “ a double pivot” which means when Southampton have a good fixture, I can play Walker Peters and Adams in a 343, and when West Ham have a good fixture, I can play Coufal and Soucek in a 352. So it’s flexible for all my players to contribute. It’s actually compromised this week as they play Man City and Chelsea, and my other defender plays Spurs !!
– My three “premiums of choice” are currently Salah, De Bruyne and Fernandes. I don’t really want to lose any of them. The big spanner in the works is Spurs !!!! I have gone through five packs of pants and have no finger nails over the last few weeks watching Kane and Son !! Their ownership is sky high and the potential for ranking damage is extremely high if my three premiums don’t match what Kane and Son produce !! But having said that, I have taken on the Spurs pair since my GW9 wildcard and come through it so far with green arrows. But it’s vital my three premiums are on their game to offset any damage.
– At some stage, I will want at least one of Son or Kane. From GW16, I definitely will, as they have Fulham at home, Leeds at home and Sheffield United !! It’s just a question of which of KDB, Bruno and Salah would have to go and that’s not easy. Salah looks essential, so it’s a tough choice between the other two.
– I could upgrade Grealish to Son and have all four of Salah, KDB, Bruno and Son !! I could fund that by downgrading Chilwell to a non playing defender. It’s my only route and that’s not attractive, especially ahead of Chelsea v West Ham and West Brom v Villa . There is every reason to believe that Grealish can match or beat Son this week too. And with Bruno v Leeds, Salah at Palace and KDB At Southampton, every chance my midfield four can match Son.
– I just don’t like watching Spurs games right now !! It’s really not good for my blood pressure. Either Son or Kane will be in my team soon. An injury to one of my other three premiums, or to Son or Kane would significantly help the dilemma !! The worry is not exclusive to me and Spurs though. I expect Kane and Son owners will be hiding behind sofas too when the other premiums they don’t hold are playing . That’s FPL world right now and I have been surviving and progressing.
– Captaincy is not easy. It’s currently on Bruno Fernandes v Leeds but it could easily be on Salah too.
– I have fixtures that hold good potential for Fernandes, Salah, De Bruyne, Grealish, Calvert Lewin and Bamford. Chilwell and Dias always have a decent chance of a clean sheet. Keeper Martinez has West Brom when many are on McCarthy v Man City. So good opportunities.
My rotation of Southampton and West Ham players usually works really well but it’s not looking good this week when both have tough fixtures, and my usually reliable clean sheet opportunity from one of three rotating defenders is bad this week as emphasised by Justin away to Spurs having the best clean sheet odds amongst my rotating 3rd defenders !! Maybe Che Adams can pop me a cheeky goal in.
– Sooner or later my luck will run out and the Spurs boys will set me back. It’s inevitable. But if my key players can perform as they can and should, let’s aim for that 8th successive green arrow.
Good luck everyone !!!!
Transfer summary: Carrying over the free transfer likely
Here’s the team assuming no transfer is made:
Costas’s last 4 seasons overall ranks were 17k, 84k, 29k and 27k
GW13 points: 61 (FPL average 42) Total points: 770, Overall Rank: 489k, green arrow: 267k Team Value: £103.0m
Costas has used his wildcard
Follow Costas on twitter
A great week for me and a 267k green arrow! Luckily both my transfers son and wilson delivered and both soucek and werner blanked!
A week were most captain picks blanked (Bruno, Kane, Vardy) at least De Bruyne got the 2 bonus points. But it worries me that it was the 5th captain blank this season!
I am planning of setting a team for DGW19 and free hit in GW18. If as there have been rumours that Villa and City get the DGW19 as well I will bench boost. If not then I wont use it. As it stands City have Palace, Spurs have Sheffield and Villa have Everton on GW19 so I am not eager to get 11 playing DGW19 players.
This weeks transfer is Bellerin out for C Taylor and u have the exact money left to make sterling to Salah for hit. This will give me my ideal 5 midfield of Grealish De Bruyne Salah Bruno and Son. It will be a last minute call as Liverpool always have a hard game away to Palace and a hit might not be worth it in the end.
On the watch list are players such as Wood, Alioski, Coufal… Callum Wilson making way for the first and Lamptey for the second.
Captain Bruno this week with Son VC.
transfer summary: Bellerin out C Taylor in (Geek note: If you are also transferring in Charlie Taylor of Burnley be careful that you don’t in a rush accidentally transfer in Neil Taylor of Villa. The Kit and the price are similar)
Here’s the team with transfer complete
Sergio’s last 4 seasons were 2k, 596k, 17k and 21k
GW13 points: 34 (FPL average 42) Total points: 723, Overall Rank: 1.514k, red arrow: 304k Team Value: £102.2m
Sergio has used his wildcard
Terrible week for my team, with a score in the thirties. And after starting the season with 6 green arrows in a row, I have now followed it with 6 consecutive red arrows, something that I am pretty sure I had never had before. Really nothing is working lately and this week it was one of the worst weeks I ever remember with only 2 returns, an assist and a clean sheet. The 4 points De Bruyne captain looked good after all.
I am going to roll the transfer this week. The team and fixtures look alright, and following the announcement of the fixtures spread over GW18 and GW19, I have got a bit of a plan of how to go about it. The default plan for most seems to FH GW18, and BB GW19. However based on the players in my team, and the players I would like to have for each gameweek, by using the free transfers I am much closer to build the ideal team into GW18 than for GW19. So I will build towards fielding a decent eleven for GW18, and then use my free hit for GW19. Which at least saves BB for later in the season, hopefully there will still be a good chance to use it combined with the second wildcard in the typical end of season way.
The main decision about who to play this week is the pick of the keepers between Johnston and Martinez, who play each other. I’ve gone for Martinez. And of course who to captain, and I’ve gone for Kane there with Fernandes as vice.
Good luck all!
transfer summary: Carrying over a free transfer
Here’s the team assuming no transfer is made:
FFGeek Contributors League
The highlighted FFGeek contributors combined team finished with an overall rank of 52k last season is going ok in 4th place with total points of 806 and an overall rank of 123k. You can follow that team, including live transfers, on our subscription Patreon site.
You can also follow Joe’s transfer planner team which finished with an overall rank of 32k last season currently in 23rd place with total points of 715 and an overall rank of, 1,741k.
There’s loads of other features on the Patreon site that you can read about at the top of this page
#Fantasy #Premier #League #GW14 #teams #FFGeek #Contributors