The final Premier League match of the calendar year draws a shorter-than-expected Gameweek 16 to a close.
Reigning champions and league leaders Liverpool take on Newcastle United this evening, with kick-off at St James Park at 20:00 GMT.
This is the only top-flight fixture of the day, following the earlier postponement of Tottenham Hotspur v Fulham.
Amid all the rotation and cancellations elsewhere, Liverpool’s teamsheet is reassuringly familiar from a Fantasy Premier League perspective.
The usual front three and Trent Alexander-Arnold all start, along with Andrew Robertson, who hasn’t missed a single minute of Premier League football all season – earlier rumours that the Scot would be rested on Tyneside proving wide of the mark.
Jurgen Klopp has made two changes to the side that underwhelmed in the match against West Bromwich Albion in Gameweek 15.
The injured Joel Matip and the benched Georginio Wijnaldum make way, with budget FPL defender Nathaniel Phillips and the versatile James Milner brought in to replace them.
That means another start for the cut-price Curtis Jones in midfield.
Thiago Alcantara makes his long-awaited return from a knee injury, taking his place among the visitors’ substitutes.
Steve Bruce has made just the one change to the side that lost 2-0 to Manchester City on Saturday and it’s a significant one from a Fantasy perspective.
Callum Wilson is back in the starting XI following his benching at the Etihad, with Miguel Almiron dropping out.
Jamal Lewis is again on the bench, where he is joined by fit-again goalkeeper Martin Dubravka.
Wilson, whose points-per-match average is inferior to just two other Fantasy forwards, is the only Newcastle starter owned by more than 2% of FPL managers.
There is unsurprisingly a lot more interest in the Reds.
Salah was the most-captained asset of Gameweek 16 overall, with over half of the top 10,000 handing the armband to the Egyptian.
Given that over a third of the other top 10k managers backed a non-playing Spurs or Manchester City asset, Salah will no doubt also be on vice-captaincy duties for many others.
Newcastle United XI: Darlow, Yedlin, Schar, Fernandez, Clark, Ritchie, Murphy, Hayden, M Longstaff, Joelinton, Wilson.
Liverpool XI: Alisson, Alexander-Arnold, Phillips, Fabinho, Robertson, Henderson, Milner, Jones, Salah, Firmino, Mane.
Check your latest FPL rank LIVE on LiveFPL.net every Gameweek
Become a Member and get unrestricted access to our data and articles
Full-year memberships are now available for the price of £19.99. Monthly subscriptions also cost just £2.99. A FREE trial is now available during December.
Join now to get the following:
- Plot your transfer strategies using the fully interactive Season Ticker.
- Get projections for every Premier League player provided by the Rate My Team statistical model.
- Use Rate My Team throughout the season to guide your selections and transfers.
- Get access to over 150+ exclusive members articles over the season.
- Analyse our OPTA-powered statistic tables specifically tailored for Fantasy Football Managers.
- Use our exclusive tool to build custom stats tables from over 100 OPTA player and team stats.
- Enjoy our brand NEW Flat-Track Bully feature which introduces an opposition filter to your tables.
- View heatmaps and expected goals data for every player.
- Use our powerful comparison tool to analyse players head-to-head.
#Robertson #starts #Wilson #returns #FPL #managers #turn #Salah #captaincy