The ‘Sleeper’ series has made a return to the Fantasy Football Scout pages this summer.
In these articles, we assess the Fantasy Premier League (FPL) players who failed or didn’t have the chance to live up to former glories last season.
Having already considered Matt Doherty, we take a look at Virgil van Dijk’s (£6.5m) return to fitness, his own FPL appeal and how the Dutchman’s comeback might impact on Liverpool’s defensive prospects.
Van Dijk fitness latest
The key thing to note about van Dijk is that, at the time of writing, his availability for Gameweek 1 remains in question.
The Netherlands centre-back suffered a serious knee injury in Gameweek 5 of 2020/21 and returned to pre-season training in July of this year.
On van Dijk and fellow injury returnee Joe Gomez (£5.0m), Jurgen Klopp said recently:
Virg and Joe will not have double sessions now for the first few days with the team; they have a second session of the day but it’s with Andreas Schlumberger, with the rehab department, physiotherapy, these kinds of things. That’s for these two. [They] look really good. I don’t know exactly when we can make the next steps but it will happen in the next four weeks, for sure – we will get a big step forward.
Once fully fit, we can safely assume that van Dijk will be back at the heart of Liverpool’s defence.
Liverpool’s defence: with and without van Dijk
The Dutchman joined Liverpool in January 2018, making his debut in Gameweek 24.
Before his arrival, the Reds had conceded 36 big chances in 23 Gameweeks. In the following 15 Gameweeks, Liverpool allowed just 18 of these high-quality chances.
In the subsequent season, van Dijk’s first full campaign at Anfield, Klopp’s outfit could boast the meanest defence in the league.
|Liverpool defensive stats 2018/19||Total||Rank v other PL teams|
|Shots in the box conceded||192||2nd|
|Shots on target conceded||96||2nd|
|Big chances conceded||40||2nd|
|Expected goals conceded (xGC)||28.95||2nd|
Van Dijk was also a real goal threat, scoring four times from inside the box, including three headers.
Become a Member and get unrestricted access to our data and articles
Full-year memberships, monthly subscriptions and a FREE trial are all now available.
Join now to get the following:
- Plot your transfer strategies using the fully interactive Season Ticker.
- Get projections for every Premier League player provided by the Rate My Team statistical model.
- Use Rate My Team throughout the season to guide your selections and transfers.
- Get access to over 150+ exclusive members articles over the season.
- Analyse our OPTA-powered statistic tables specifically tailored for Fantasy Football Managers.
- Use our exclusive tool to build custom stats tables from over 100 OPTA player and team stats.
- Enjoy our brand NEW Flat-Track Bully feature which introduces an opposition filter to your tables.
- View heatmaps and expected goals data for every player.
- Use our powerful comparison tool to analyse players head-to-head.
#Van #Dijk #comeback #boost #AlexanderArnold #Robertsons #FPL #returns
Source : www.fantasyfootballscout.co.uk – https%3A%2F%2Fwww.fantasyfootballscout.co.uk%2F2021%2F07%2F16%2Fvan-dijk-comeback-to-boost-alexander-arnold-and-robertsons-fpl-returns%2F